In this blog, one of our students of LUT Business School (LBS) shares her personal experience about why she chose LBS.
The LUT Business School is one of three faculties at LUT University, and it is where I have called home during the past two years. When deciding where I wanted to complete my master’s degree, there were five main reasons why I applied to and ultimately chose to study at the LUT Business School. Through my studies here, I have seen these reasons become reality which made me even more sure that LUT was the right place for me.
Why I chose to study at LBS:
1. International rankings: Before applying to universities, I first wanted to ensure that these programmes would provide me with the good education that they were promoting. LBS has consistently done well in the Times Higher Education Subject Rankings, most recently ranking in the top 150 business school in the world. LBS was also recently accredited by AACSB, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, which is a reflection of its high-quality research and education. During my studies, these accreditations have been reflected through quality teaching that is based on the latest research, much of which is conducted right here at LUT.
2. Unique programmes: Currently the LUT Business School has five English-language master’s programmes in business administration. Each of these programmes was designed to provide students with the latest knowledge and skills needed in the current business landscape. The programmes are:
My master’s programme, Supply Management, is unique in Finland for its focus on purchasing and supply management. The LUT Business School has a number of professors in supply management and many of their research articles are used in our courses. I was so excited to find this programme because it matched with my interests and provides me with a unique skillset for the workplace.
3. Sustainability focus: LUT is widely known for its focus on sustainability and sustainable development. In the 2022 Times Higher Education Impact Rankings, LUT ranked ninth in the world for its climate action. Sustainability can be seen anywhere from the campus cafeterias to students’ coursework.
When it comes to the LUT Business School, I was very intrigued by the option of completing an minor in Sustainable Business. I was also excited to see that sustainability was integrated into my major through courses such as Sustainable Global Sourcing and Green Logistics. Sustainability has indeed been a topic of conversation throughout all of business coursework and professors realise its importance in how business is conducted today.
4. Company connections: When looking at business schools, I knew that I wanted to be able to take what I learn in the classroom and be able to apply it in real-life scenarios. LUT Business School has been a great choice for that because it encourages collaboration with companies through its coursework. Many of my courses have had students work in groups on a project for a company, such as to help them with their risk management or sustainability communication. Some of my classmates have even completed their master’s thesis through a company.
5. Tight-knit community: Moving halfway across the world to start studies in a foreign country can be tough at times, which is why I wanted to a university with a good support system and community. The LUT Business School has a strong network of professors and researchers from both Finland and abroad. My professors have always been very helpful when I had questions and supported me throughout my studies. One of my instructors was even awarded the Lecturer of the Year Award by the business student association! The student community here at LUT has also been wonderful in helping to support me throughout my time here.
Looking back at the past two years, I am so glad that I made the choice to come study at the LUT Business School. Not only have I learned a lot through my coursework, but I have met amazing people and made long-lasting connections. These five reasons above have led me to this wonderful experience. If these reasons resonate with you, I hope you will consider joining us here at the LUT Business School to be a part of this great community!